Udemy – Random / Procedural Level Creation in Game Maker Studio [85% off]
In this course you will learn how to create randomly-generated levels, as seen in classic roguelikes such as Nethack and Dungeon Crawl. You’ll learn how to create a procedural system that can be tweaked to give slightly different results.
These types of ideas can be expanded to create procedurally generated levels like those in Binding of Issac and Minecraft.
What you’ll learn in this course:
- How to design an algorithm that creates procedural environments
- How to use Game Maker Studio’s pathfinding functions to ensure that a procedural level is beatable
- A simple tile-based collision script
Game Maker Studio is a simple, yet powerful tool for creating 2D games. It’s a great tool for experimenting, and I encourage you to follow along with these lectures, and try things your own way once you have the basics down. Have fun learning!
What you’ll need to get started:
- Knowledge of Game Maker Studio, especially the syntax of GML. Knowledge of the
irandom(), irandom_range(), for() and repeat() functions will be especially useful.
- Understanding of basic programming ideas, such as variables, functions, scope and arguments
Share with your friends :