If you have even a slight interest in making games, then this beginner game maker course is for you. We will work together over the next 4 and 1/2 hours to make a really fun game which will leave your family and friends in disbelief that you created it yourself. There’s even a challenging boss fight to conquer. You’ll be amazed at how easy the program is to use and navigate once you begin.
I’ll show you the basics of building using Gamemaker Studio, giving you the tools to then move on and start creating your own games. Some things you will learn include:
- Controlling your ship with the mouse and keyboard
- Adding multiple enemies and multiple enemy attack patterns that increase the difficulty over time.
- How to add a menu system, and a save and load system.
- The power of parenting objects to minimise the workflow.
- Creating multiple powerups to make the game more fun and engaging.
- Utilising simple, but useful, effects to make the game feel more alive.
- How to incorporate a boss fight that returns periodically, but offers more of a challenge each time.
- Great sites that give you free sounds and music to use in your own games.
Join me in this course, but be prepared to change the way you look at games forever.
To future students, my challenge to you is to beat my current highscore of 9220, that 3rd boss is kind of tough.
Note: This course is based on Gamemaker Studio 1.x, and demonstrates how to obtain the free version from YoYo Games. As of March 2017 though, the registration for new licenses from yoyogames has been discontinued. If you already have a license for Gamemaker Studio 1.x you can use that to follow along, otherwise you can use the free Gamemaker 2 trial version. Be aware it is limited in how many sprites and objects it can create and also has a different interface.
Share with your friends :